Mission and History
Our mission: to promote humane principles, protect lost, homeless, abandoned and mistreated animals, and act as advocates for animals in our communities.
AFHS was established in 1952 and is the only open-admission shelter in Butler County. In 1986, the original shelter was enlarged to accommodate a growing animal population. Over the years additional upgrades have been made including: an in-house veterinary clinic for spaying, neutering and medical treatment, and a PetMobile trailer and van for volunteers to take adoptable animals to public events on a regular basis. Most importantly, we have developed an active volunteer program where adults and children 16 years of age or older assist with everything from walking dogs, to socializing cats and raising funds at annual events.
In 2009, we relocated and now occupy a 22,500 sq. foot facility with top-notch amenities for our shelter population in Hamilton. On a typical day, Animal Friends Humane Society houses between 200 and 300 dogs and cats in our facility. We are Butler County’s largest and oldest 501(c)3 non-profit animal shelter.
Thank you for helping us continue our lifesaving work by supporting our cause!